Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Chullos for a try

Well, it's been requested that I knit a chullo for my son's friend. Of course begged off, but being the mom that I am I felt guilty afterwards. So a chullo it shall be. Want to knit along? Hey, this is a freebie and all I ask of you is ......

nothing.

That's right, not a thing. Though it would be nice to know your thoughts on my construction.

So here goes. I'll be putting up photos as I go along.

I have two skeins of Reynolds Lopi - regular not Lite.
- skein 1 - tan
- skein 2 - varigated browns and tan
One set of double pointed size 6 needles.
One set of size 8 needles (actually I'm using a circular)
One stitch marker

1st ear flap:
Using smaller kneedles, cast on 3 stitches.
Knit one row.
row 2: k1, m1, p1, m1, k1 (we'll be keeping a garter stitch border on the flaps)
* All increases are done on either side of the center stitch on a purl row.
row 3: knit - all odd rows knit across
row 4: k1, p1, m1, p1, m1, p1, k1
row 6: k1, p2, m1, p1, m1, p2, k1

Continue in this manner until ear flap has 17 stitches. Knit 3 more rows (remember purling on the wrong side, knit on the public side) Break yarn and knit the second flap. Once you've accomplished 17 stitches on the second flap, do not break the yarn.

Knit across the 2nd flap using the larger needle. Cable cast on 20 stitches. Knit across the first flap, cable cast on 18 stitches (total of 72 stitches). Join and place a marker.

K2, p2 for 3 rounds.

*** Now, you know you 72 stitches. Sorry, I don't have a gauge for you as yet. I've now got 72 stitches and three rounds of k2, p2 ribbing as well. You also have two skeins of Lopi in difference colors. What you need now is some sort of pattern using these two colors. I'm going to end this post for the evening and go in search of some design for this cap. If you find something, let me know.

I'll be back later. With photos even!

No comments: